Christened 28 Nov 1619. Cause of death - drowning.
September 5, 1636; Signed Dedham Compact. (Dedham Historical Register)
1648; Captain and resident commander in Dedham, Massachusetts of his stone fortified house near the northern border of Boggestow Pond in the east part of the town of Sherborn now in or near Millis. This home was a place of refuge from the Indians. 65' - 70' long and 2 stories tall. The walls were flat faced stones brought over ice from a quarry 1 mile distant at the N.W., and laid in clay mortar. A double row of portholes on all sides. Lined with heavy white oak planks flaring inward. Lighted and entered at the south end overlooking the pond. Eventually all these stones were carried away. (History of Sherborn and Holliston, Massachusetts)
He established in Medfield, afterwards Medway, a homestead which remained in the family for several generations. It was held in whole or in part by four Georges in succession, then by Silas and his son, Silas, the last of the name who lived on it, about the year 1820. He was undoubtedly the first to settle within the territory of Medway. His dwelling was the famous stone house near the northern border of Bogestow Pond in the eastern part of the town, which is now included within the limits of the town of Millis, incorporated in 1885. That which has been more recently known as the Fairbanks farm was the southern portion of his large landed estate. The Inventory of his estate mentions three hundred acres adjacent to his homestead, and a small lot lying between that tract and the homestead.
With brother in law Benjamin Bullard bought of executors the south half or third of 1074 acres that had belonged to the deceased Captain Robert Keayne at Pawlett Hill (partly in Sherborn and partly in Medway - this property had been granted to Keayne in 1649 and he had died March 23, 1655-6) Bounding them on the n. of this property was Mr. S. Hill and Breck from Dorchester - also brothers in law. These 4 were the second company to plant w of the Charles River, locating there dwellings with reference to natural security, settling prior to February 2, 1658. This was a frontier location, cut off by river and marsh and a distance of 4 miles from the nearest settlement at Medfield. Around this time the settlement grew to 9 families. A garrison was built on the n. bank of Bogistow Pond, having long wet prairies to the e. and n.w.. The garrison house was spacious and superior to others being built on the frontier. It was 65 - 70 feet long, two stories high, all of faced stone, brought over ice from a quarry one mile distant at the n.w., and laid in workmanlike manner in clay mortar. It had a double row of port holes on all sides lined with oak plank and flaring inward, so as to require no one to expose himself before them, while the beseiged, by taking cross aims could direct their fire to every point of the compass. This fortress was lighted and entered at the s. end overlooking the pond, where the bank was so low that assailants from that quarter in levelling at the high windows, would only lodge bullets in a plank chamber floor, or among furniture in the garret. The upper story was appropriated to the women and children, and had a room partitioned off for the sick. To this place of security our ancestors for more than two generation were accustomed to flee in times of alarm, and here no small numbers of babies were born. In this fort they once were beseiged by a host of King Philip's warriors, who in despair of all other means attempted to fire the building by running down the declivity above it a cart filled with burning flax. In it's descent the cart was halted by a rock in it's path, and Indian was killed trying to free it, the retreat was sounded and the garrison saved. 2 months later however they were back, but were met with such resistance they did not return again.
1657; To Medfield near Sherborn line, from Dedham - road from Dearth Bridge past Boggastow Pond. This land had been granted to Reverend John Allen. George was the first settler on Medfield soil west of the river. (History of Medfield; Early Planters of Sherborn, Holliston and Medway)
"The first settler within the territory, now Medway, was George Fairbanks, from Dedham, in 1657. Mr. Fairbanks was not connected with the settlement of Medfield Plain, but purchased the tract of land which had been granted in 1643 to Rev. Mr. Allyne by the General Court. While Mr. Fairbanks lived within the limits of Medfield, and enjoyed religous and municipal privileges in that town, he held his land by purchase and not by town grant. He was one of the inhabitants of "The Farms", so called. His immediate neighbors as recorded in 1660, were, Nicholas Woods, Daniel Morse, Henry Lealand, Thomas Holbrooke, and Thomas Bas. There were also John Hill, Benjamin Bullard and perhaps others." (History of Norfolk Co., Massachusetts - D. Hamilton Hurd)
1662; Signed 1st petition for the incorporation of the town of Sherborn. (Early Planters of Sherborn, Holliston and Medway)
1665; Committee chosen by the town to consider the complaint of George Fayerbanke and view the cartway across Boggestowe Brooke at ye mill. (Handbook of Medway History 1713 - 1913)
1674; With 12 others signed a 2nd petition for incorporation of the town that was successful. (Early Planters of Sherborn, Holliston and Medway)
1674; George Fayerbanke was a principal citizen in the new town of Sherborn from this date until 1681 holding town office several years. Medfleld afterward protested and collected taxes from his estate. (Handbook of Medway History 1713 - 1913)
1675; Sixty persons in Medfield and the Farms subscribe to the new Brick College. (Harvard). Out of fourteen families at Boggestowe Farms, seven live within the limits of original Medway. George Fayerbanke, George Fayerbanke, Jr., Joseph Daniel, Jonathan Adams, Peter Calley, John Fussell and William Allen. (Thirty souls.) Mill in Boggestowe destroyed by Indians. (Handbook of Medway History 1713 - 1913)
February 21, 1676; Indian War broke out with about half the houses at Medfield burned and seventeen persons killed. Nearly half the houses and barns on the met side of the river burned. Indians retire across Great Bridge, which they burn, and hold a feast on what is now the Moses Adams farm in Millis. The spot is marked by a group of Tupello trees which have been called the King Philip trees for over two hundred years. John Fussell, nearly one hundred years old, burned by the Indians in Jonathan Adams' house. All the rest of the dwellers at the farms were in George Fayerbanke's palisade.
The residents present at this time on the w side of the river at Medway were; George Fairbanks Sr., George Fairbanks Jr., Joseph Daniell, Jonathan Adams, William Allen, and Peter Collyr. Perhaps John Fussell, in all thirty persons. Of these, Joseph Daniell, Jonathan Adams, William Allen and probably Peter Collyr had their houses burned. The Fairbanks were living in the stone fort at Boggastow Pond at the time. (History of Norfolk Co., Massachusetts - D. Hamilton Hurd; Handbook of Medway History 1713 - 1913)
Feb. 22, 1676; Indians make an attack on the palisades at the farms, but are repulsed and retire to the southward. Fayerbanke palisade sheltered six families from Sherborn side, numbering 38 souls, and six families from Medway side, 30 souls. (Handbook of Medway History 1713 - 1913)
May 6, 1677; The Garrison House at Boggastow Pond in Medway was attacked by the Indians, but they met with a "notorious repulse". The 2nd of the next July the men of Medfield in turn attacked the Indians in the woods near the stone house and drove them to such a distance from the town that they never came back to those parts. (History of Norfolk Co., Massachusetts - D. Hamilton Hurd)
1681; Drew land. (Early Planters of Sherborn, Holliston and Medway)
Estate inventoried at 800.17.9 pounds
Came form Dedham about 1657, and bought land near Sherborn line that had been granted to Rev. John Allen. Mr. Allen's farm, lying within our limits was reserved when our grant for a township was given. This rendered Fairbanks' citizenship doubtful. He was drowned in 1682.
Military Service: Artillery Co. of Boston96
Town Offices: selectman 4 years, committee to select and secure minister98
The current owner of the property has posted the property where the Fairbanks lived and are buried and it is now inaccessible to the public.
Generated by GreatFamily 2.2 update 2